Further to our recent announcement (below), seven SWOAPG members spent another fascinating day on 3 Mar with Alan Bowring of Brecon Beacons National Park Authority and Juliet Parker-Smith, learning about the geology and history of the Nedd Fechan Valley and its caves.
After some difficulties in securing the ‘right’ people to assist, we have had to postpone our workshop to explore the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal (hopefully we will be able to run this as an evening activity during the spring / summer) but we are instead planning the following event:
- Mon 27 Mar 2023 CPD Workshop: Learn about…Craig Cerrig Gleisiad & Fan Frynich: exploring the geology of Craig Cerrig Gleisiad and Fan Frynich, again with Alan Bowring
Click on the link above for more information and bookings, or drop an e-mail to email@example.com.
SWOAPG is planning a series of practical, outdoor workshops providing opportunities for instructors and providers to learn about some of the areas we work in, both for their own education and to enable them to help their clients to better appreciate these special places. The programme isn’t yet finalised but we are hoping to offer the following workshops, open to all SWOAPG Members and Supporters and their employed staff (max. 3 people from each provider in the first instance). NB there may be a fee of c.£25 per person for some of these workshops.
- Mon 30 Jan: a walking tour of the Blaen y Glyn gorge and surrounding mountains exploring their geology, history and ecology, with expertise from Brecon Beacons National Park Authority.
- 1, 2 or 3 Mar, 20 or 27 Mar (tbc): two workshops exploring the geology, history and ecology of the Upper Nedd Fechan valley and its caves; a section of the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal; and/or the Craig Cerrig Gleisiad and Fan Frynich mountain area.
- Dates tbc: workshop(s) focusing on the role that outdoor activity groups can play in identifying, reporting, monitoring and clearing Invasive Non-Native Species from the special places in which we work.
- Dates tbc: workshop(s) focusing on the role that outdoor activity instructors and groups can play as ‘Citizen Scientists‘ by surveying and monitoring critical features of the environments we work within.
- Date tbc: workshop to help providers and instructors understand how to work with mountain rescue teams including dealing with helicopter evacuations in gorges.