Further to our recent reminder that gorge-walking groups should not use the private lane between Loonies’ Leap / the Gunpowder Works and Pontneddfechan Village Hall, we are delighted to report that NRW will now permit groups to use the path on river-left from the lower Mellte footbridge (near SN915081) to Dinas Rock car park, subject to the following conditions:
- The path on river-left between the two footbridges is still out-of-bounds: use the river-right path for this stretch, then cross the lower footbridge and continue on river-left towards the car park.
- The path is to be used one-way only (from the bridge to the car park).
- Providers must familiarise themselves with the areas where there are sensitive plants – see the attached map and photographs. Groups must not enter or cause damage to these sensitive areas (damage in the SSSI could lead to prosecution).
- Groups must walk in single-file, stick to the worn route and not try to overtake other groups.
- NRW will monitor this arrangement to see if it has an effect on the species highlighted.