Loonies’ Leap (Lower Mellte) and Glasbury-Hay update

Several SWOAPG Members have, quite understandably, been asking for updates on the access situation with Loonies’ Leap and the Wye from Glasbury-Hay. Sadly we don’t have anything positive to report just yet, however:

  • BBNPA has received an engineer’s report for loonies’ Leap and will advise us as soon as possible on whether the site can be partially re-opened for gorge-walking groups. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience in keeping clear of this site until the structural damage to the weir has been properly evaluated.
  • Powys County Council has asked Natural Resources Wales for advice about arguments submitted by fisheries representatives, which stated that canoeing has been responsible for significant environmental damage on the river and demanded that Powys impose additional, highly restrictive limitations on paddlesport access at Glas-y-Bont Common (well beyond those we thought we were close to agreeing through our proposed Concordat arrangement). While we await the Council’s response, we appreciate everyone’s continued patience (which we know is wearing very thin – as is ours) by continuing not to launch at this site.

We’ll provide further updates as-and-when we receive them…

Leave a comment